Re: [LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 10 2012 - 22:32:05 EEST

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Dan MacDonald wrote:

> Back onto LVs article...
>
> He made a number of valid points but I have to agree it was a bit overly
> negative.

The way I see it, pleasing Linux users wasn't the point of the article :)

As far as I can tell, most positive changes in the ecosystem come from
a handful of clearly overworked people who are stubborn enough to keep
going, come hell or high water. Is it a sustainable model? Nope.

In that sense nothing really changed. The world is still moving faster
than we do, and thus any progress goes mostly unnoticed. There is no
simple solution to this and there will never be one.

I also don't quite get what's the fun in having another distribution
even if it comes prepackaged will all the latest gizmos. It's still a
Linux distribution with all its dependencies, repositories and
suchlike. Dunno if you noticed, but it's marketplaces and app stores
what's trending today.

Think of what could really make a splash in the wider community of
musicians and then see what we have for that, here and now. That will
be a quite working measure of the progress.

We still live on the street of Cunning Artificers. We got a bit more
cunning, yes indeed, but we haven't become an industry.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org