Re: [LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 10 2012 - 23:46:11 EEST

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Dan MacDonald wrote:

> Louigi wanted feedback and thats what he's getting. Everyones opinion is
> valid if its realistic and well reasoned which I'd say all the comments have
> been so far - hopefully that includes me! :)

It does :)

> decade before app stores became a catchphrase. The amount of dross in the
> Play market and in Apples store is staggering - I wouldn't even consider the
> majority of whats available from them as real, useful apps - most are more
> like installable ads and thinly-veiled spyware.

You know, I was sitting next to a fellow co-worker few days ago who
was, in fact, swearing, because he couldn't find a certain useful
productivity app for the "big" OSX (on a Macbook) which he had on his
iPad. He was actually quite ready to spend $100 on an HDMI adapter and
get himself a display so that he could get his work done.

> would be nice if in a few years this trend could change so that people are
> using Linux to record with because it has become a superior audio production
> platform but for that we may need Apple to screw up OSX as hard as MS have
> with Windows 8 and more than just Bitwig + a few extra plugins.

I really like how willingly people claim that Microsoft screwed
Windows 8. It's not as sales actually started already.

> To be honest though, I could care less about world domination for Linux. I'd
> be happy if it wasn't just outright ignored by hardware manufacturers and
> they had the good sense to at least co-operate with the Linux community but
> there lies our chicken & egg.

No, really? Last thing I heard is that vendors of Firewire audio
devices were quite willing to give specs to FFADO folks and even send
hardware, and it was a shame that there were so few FFADO folks to
make use of those specs.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org