Re: [LAU] SEO [was: Re: [LAD] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?]

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 01:00:15 EEST

On Thu, October 11, 2012 8:48 am, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>>> Oh for god's sake. Inbound links are the past of search engines
>>> marketing.
>>
>> Where do you get that idea? Has the web suddenly stopped using hyper
>> links?
>
> I don't know where you spent last 4-5 years, but search engines have
> changed a lot since then.
>
>> Page rank in primarily built on two things, Unique content and referring
>> links.
>
> What can I say? Welcome to the XXI century, Patrick :)
>
> Modern search engines rely on tons of criteria to evaluate and
> reevaluate quality of pages. The weight of inbound links in the mix
> dramatically dropped in last few years. Having a bunch of inlinks
> (even from fat domains) and unique content simply doesn't cut the
> mustard today, though it helps.
>
> You need to take care of usability.

Useful for mobile but not the main contributor to SEO.

> You need to make sure you don't have duplicated content across pages.

Backlinks across multiple pages reinforces page rank so this has to be
used with discretion.

> You need to keep publishing new stuff all the time.

Of course.

> And the list goes on.

But the two most important things to get right are referring links and
unique content. Without those two things you have a low page rank. End of
story.

All the other things that you can do help to increase page rank but those
two are the most important. The higher ranked the referring link the more
weight it has for page rank. That's why corporations spend a lot of money
for clickthrough placements and sponsored article posts on highly ranked
websites with high visitor count. Of course they spend even more money on
directly targeted ads but that is not SEO just digital marketing.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd