Re: [LAU] Too many xruns

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 13:55:03 EEST

1. Checking checking sysctl inotify max_user_watches... < 524288 - not good

as jeremy mentioned, i have no idea what this is supposed to help. it has
nothing fundamentally to do with realtime at all.

2. chrt: failed to set pid 0's policy: Operation not permitted
> Checking the ability to prioritize processes with chrt... no - not good
> Could not assign a 80 rtprio value. Set up limits.conf.
> For more information, see
>
> http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration#limits.conf
>
> I did make the changes outlined at the above link. I still
> get the above report. I'm going to guess that I need some
> real-time support from the kernel to make this work. Which
> brings me to

this is not true. http://jackaudio.org/realtime_vs_realtime_kernel

you *must* get these permissions correct BUT at the same time, i have no
idea why this script is trying to set the RT priority of PID 0, which is
typically init(1), the program that starts a Unix system running.

> 3. Kernel with Real-Time Preemption... not found - not good

not necessarily relevant. required in cases where the kernel and h/w are
cooperating (badly) to prevent low latency operation, but many people have
systems where this is not required.