Re: [LAU] Some new music?!

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 22 2012 - 15:28:59 EEST

Hello Sedric!
   The sound I did was based on a square wave with a distrotng filter. The
sound in the dubstep class, sounds like it might be based on one of those
filter white noises. The Nordleads have that. What they essentially do - as I
have read so far - is modulate volume, filter and pitch. Sometimes by LFO,
sometimes perhaps by the sequencer software/manual manipulation. In the video,
it sounds like a lot of cut-off frequncy modulation. I think he had more than
one filter there. Because there are the occasional bits, where the bass
sounds, like it's pronouncing a vowel, this is typically achieve by at least
to filters in paralel. How exactly he modulates them... No idea. But I'm sure
you can think of a few things yourself.
   It's always a good idea to double the oscillators by some technique. Either
you have a unison feature, or stack... What they do is stack notes of your
patch on one key, using up polyphony. The notes then are slightly detuned and
distributed in the stereo panorama.
   I hope, this is essentially what you wanted to know. If you're looking for
more dubstep, there are radio stations - definitely accessible from Linux -,
which play nothing else. :-) A friend posted three links to me once. I should
still have them, if you're interested.
   Warm regards
          Julien