Re: [LAU] Fairlight

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 25 2012 - 04:12:25 EEST

I wonder if one was able to make their own MB and start with the kernel
and only add what is needed to make audio work. Stay away from fancy video
tricks... or add a second cpu for just that... separate memory buss
everything. No X, no DE, login would only lock the input devices.. The
linux part could well be an off the shelf kernel and core set of
utilities... where they can say "yes here is the version we use it is
stock <whatever>." The important stuff could still be all proprietary....
or not. I think it could be interesting to build a system that does one
thing really well and _nothing_ else. In a desktop system we want the USB
port to be usable by the system in linux, but what if we were to set one
up to talk directly to wine?

It's all in the details. These guys seem to have the resources for taking
care of the details. It would not surprise me to find out they were using
a slower CPU than most of our desktops. I have been surprised at what I
can do with no X and just using Jack and NAMA on a pentium at 300Mhz...
Not much ram.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net