Re: [LAU] Fairlight

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 25 2012 - 05:07:14 EEST

On 25/10/12 09:29, michael noble wrote:

> I'm beginning to think the idea of a "Linux Audio
> Community" is nothing more than a contrivance and that everyone is
> just cranky at being stuck together in some broken virtual elevator.
> Nonetheless, if "we" are so worried about promoting Linux Audio, then

"Linux audio" here has people who are very passionate supporters of copyleft,
GPL style licenses, people who are equally passionate in the belief that these
licenses are not truly free, and are too restrictive, and people who work in
linux and are very happy to use closed source, copyrighted applications as long
as they are properly supported on linux.

These three categories are all valid linux audio users, yet their views on
licensing are very different, and their views on what "linux audio" is, or
should be, are very different. Promoting each of these branches of linux audio
is done in very different ways, and sometimes incompatible ways. Hence the
passionate level of debate on these topics.

Simon