Re: [LAU] debian wheezy vs pulseaudio vs jackdbus

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 30 2012 - 06:51:33 EET

On Tue, October 30, 2012 3:42 pm, david wrote:
> On 10/29/2012 02:12 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>>> On ubuntu (which normally uses debian src packages), The module name is
>>> module-jackdbus-detect. I don't think I have seen a module called
>>> module-jackdbus-connect even on the pulse site.
>>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Modules#JACK_Connectivity
>>>

>> You got the gist...
>>
>>> Even if jackd comes with dbus support, it can be started without. so
>>> use
>>> ps x or similar to check that the running app is jackdbus and not
>>> jackd.
>>
>> There is no jackdbus on debian wheezy, just "jackd" or "jackd2".
>>
>>> If you are using qjackctl there is a checkbox under misc "Enable D-Bus
>>> interface" that has to be checked.
>>>

>> That helps which means that debian wheezy has support for pulseaudio,
>> module-jackdbus-detect and jackd2 by default but there is still an
>> error:
>>
>> ====
>> Failed to acquire device name : Audio0 error : Method "RequestRelease"
>> with signature "i" on interface "org.freedesktop.ReserveDevice1" doesn't
>> exist
>> Audio device hw:0 cannot be acquired...
>> ====
>>
>> What I find completely bizarre is that the top 5 hits on google for this
>> error have people recommending to disable pulseaudio or use an alternate
>> method to connect. It seems people have known about this issue for a
>> while
>> and been ignoring it or waiting for someone else to figure it out.
>
> Removing PulseAudio works for me!

It seems like a regression to me and it's not helping people who want to
use both pulseaudio and jack together.

For most professionals it's completely unnecessary to remove pulse as jack
can run on a second "pro" soundcard. This issue is only a headache when
the user has only one sound card to work with and given that is the
majority of n00b or amateur users it makes sense for pulse and jack to
work well together.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd