Re: [LAU] MusE RtcTimer cannot set freq

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Nov 02 2012 - 11:20:34 EET

On Thu, 2012-11-01 at 14:02 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Thu, November 1, 2012 4:28 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Changing file permissions didn't solve it.
>
> Shouldn't have to, should be in group audio by default.
>

> > Trying RTC timer...
> > RtcTimer::setTimerFreq(): cannot set freq 1024 on /dev/rtc: Permission
> > denied precise timer not available, check file permissions and allowed
> > RTC freq (/sys/class/rtc/rtc0/max_user_freq) Trying ALSA timer...
> > AlsaTimer::initTimer(): best available ALSA timer: system timer
> > got timer = 72
> >
> > Muse 2.0.1 Ubuntu Quantal amd64
> >
> > Any hints are welcome!
>
> edit /etc/rc.local and add a line before the exit like:
> echo 3072 >/sys/class/rtc/rtc0/max_user_freq
>
> Also, may not be needed here but recommended for other apps, edit the last
> line of /etc/sysctl.d/50-ubuntustudio.conf to uncomment:
> dev.hpet.max-user-freq=3072
>
> We have been testing this and had been unable to see any difference with
> it enabled or not in MIDI jitter etc. I am not sure if there are downsides
> to setting these (more cpu usage for example), but personally I would give
> up cpu usage for better sound.
>
> Please let me know if this helps and I will make it the default.

Hi Len :)

I started a song yesterday and will continue today.

1. Muse does crash more often than very often ;).
2. echo 3072 >/sys/class/rtc/rtc0/max_user_freq doesn't work, even for
root it's not allowed.
3. However, I'm using Qtractor at the moment. I never made a serious
production with my RME card. using the RME card with the default
lowlatency kernel I still get xruns, when the latency is less good, than
it was with my elCheapo TerraTec cards in the past. The difference is,
that I used the TerraTec cards with kernel-rt only and that the RME card
is forced to share IRQs, while the TerraTec cards get their own IRQs.
I'll continue using the lowlatency kernel, but I'm thinking of building
a kernel-rt, to see if it will improve this situation. CPU load still is
lower than 10%. I hope I get xruns caused by the kernel and not by the
shared IRQ.

All in all audio and MIDI until now is okay, excepted of the issue with
the RME card and Qtractor's usual teething troubles.

Muse in the past also never run on my machine.

Regards,
Ralf