Re: [LAU] Something interesting about kernel 3.6.5-rt14

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Nov 03 2012 - 14:57:05 EET

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 13:43:27 +0100
Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 11/03/2012 01:24 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > With latency timer set to 0 nothing seems to be different, I already
> > hear xruns while writing this mail. lspci does confirm that the RME
> > card is set to latency 0, but the other cards still have higher
> > values, so I set PCI Latency Timer (CLK) to the max [255]. No
> > soundcheck, regarding to lspci it's more worse than before, so I'll
> > reboot now and restore the default value [64] and then write a
> > script as explained by http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/PCI_Latency .
>
> http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration#pci_bus_latency
>
> Your RME card should have a high latency value and the rest should be
> lower. This allows your RME card to hold on to the PCI bus for a
> longer period of time (higher latency value = device can hold on to
> the bus for a longer period of time).

Thank you Jeremy,

I understand this and started writing a script, but first I'll get rid
of firewire, I don't need it and then of Envy24 too, I don't need the
"MIDI devices" at the moment.

spinymouse@email-addr-hidden:/mnt/music/quantal/01song$ cat tuning
#!/bin/bash

# bash tuning
# 2012/Nov/03

$ sudo rmmod firewire-ohci
$ sudo rmmod firewire_core

I'll add sudo rmmod snd_ice1712 and than set the latency of the RME and
other cards. Strange, in the morning I couldn't remove snd_ice1712, now
it does work, perhaps a typo.

Testing it may take some time, I've to do "weekend things", but I'll
set up latency now.

Regards,
Ralf