Re: [LAU] Requirements for huge multitrack editing

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 13 2012 - 16:36:48 EET

On Tue, November 13, 2012 2:36 am, Asa Marco wrote:

>> To change things to 48k you would have to do that outside of ardour. I
>> would suggest against doing that except as a final step after mixdown
>> as any time differences from track to track in the resample would be
>> magnified by such a long track. Even in shorter cases stereo imaging
>> could be affected. It would be best to leave 44100 if at all
>> possible. If the end product _has_ to be 48k then expect a (hopefully
>> small) loss in quality.
>
> I would choose between 44.1KHz and 48KHz on the multitrack recorder,
> so outside of Ardour. Since audio sources are radio microphones whose
> specs report a band of 40-18000Hz I think 48Khz would be an unuseful
> oversampling (provided a small use of DSP), am I wrong?

Yes choose the final sample rate at the record time. avoid oversampling if
you can. If you already have the tracks recorded at 44.1k, I think
oversampling as a final step rather than on the tracks makes sense, but I
could be wrong. If you have all single tracks (not stereo) it may be
better to oversample first before you make stereo images.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net