Re: [LAU] Universal format convertor script?

From: Kaza Kore <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 16 2012 - 18:04:02 EET

> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 14:57:52 -0500
> From: lists@email-addr-hidden
> To: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Universal format convertor script?
>
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 07:03:42PM +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:
> > Hi!
> > As far as I remember, there wasn't much in the way of tag
> > importing/exporting with the sndfile utils.
> > Massy: I once started writing a script, but in the end there was
> > other work. I should still have the file. As far as I remember, I
> > also put in some comments and tried to organise it strictly. If
> > you're interested, I can dig and upload it to my server?
> Thanks to those who responded. Sure, Julien, that would be nice and could be a
> good starting point.
>
> My main problem is not so much the conversion, as I said, but the tags.
> I used not to care about them, but it seems audio players on mobile
> devices rely more and more heavily on them these days, making it very
> painful to play untagged albums, hence my renewed interest in a
> full-blown script.
>
> Cheers,
> S.M.

This is sadly true, and while it wont help for your phone or other devices as far as mp3 players themselves go I've taken to using Sandisk Sansa for my last few. All the ones I've owned have allowed browsing and playing via file locations (folders etc) and have a fair enough sound quality (two of my main requisites.)

http://www.sandisk.com/products/music-video-players/

Couple that with the fact most of them appear to be supported by the Rockbox project, if the default firmware is not to your liking you can change it to a community made one, is another massive bonus.

http://www.rockbox.org/

(Sorry if that's going offtopic a bit.)