Re: [LAU] Synths for live use

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 20 2012 - 14:50:11 EET

On Nov 20, 2012 8:24 AM, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 07:57 +0000, James Stone wrote:
> > Strangely, hosting the plugins in qtractor used less cpu! Any ideas
> > why?
>
> No idea. I experienced that Quantal's version of Qtractor is absolutely
> stable using DSSIs and I also had nearly no CPU load. Especially
> Fluid-DSSI in the past made Qtractor crash very often. Just selecting
> DSSI plugins after LADSP plugins were selected, only was possible with a
> trick. Qtractor is one of the most important apps for me, but I wouldn't
> recommend to use it on stage.

Fair enough. Any reason why given it is so stable now?

What would you recommend for a plugin host?

> I experienced AVlinux 5.0.3 with Kernel 3.0.23-rt40 and Kernel
> 3.0.23-avl-7-pae threadirqs as a less good audio distro, even after
> removing compiz. I didn't run linuxsampler. I also dropped Debain stable
> 64-bit, because it's dated as AVLinux 5.0.3 (quasi Debian stable too)
> and dropped Debian testing 64-bit, because it's to unstable. My read is,
> that things will become more worse for Debian. Keeping init would cause
> dependency, resp. maintaining issues and a transition to e.g. systemd is
> known to cause issues.
> I'm using Ubuntu (Studio) at the moment (upstart), dropped Arch Linux
> regarding to transition issues (init -> systemd). Ubuntu, Fedora
> (systemd) and maybe some other distros that already switched, perhaps
> are more stable at the moment. YMMV!

Yes. I'm just trying out different things. I had Debian on the desktop
computer for a long time (10 yrs without a reinstall!) I have Ubuntu Studio
on my work laptop and a minimal ubuntu + LXDE on the netbook.. I thought
AVLinux was looking good from pov of Jack performance but I am hitting some
problems with the apps installed (optimised for SSE2 when my CPU wont do
it, this linuxsampler problem etc..).