Re: [LAU] Synths for live use

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 20 2012 - 15:51:19 EET

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 8:27 AM, James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2012 1:14 PM, "Paul Davis" <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 7:50 AM, James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes. I'm just trying out different things. I had Debian on the desktop
> computer for a long time (10 yrs without a reinstall!) I have Ubuntu Studio
> on my work laptop and a minimal ubuntu + LXDE on the netbook.. I thought
> AVLinux was looking good from pov of Jack performance but I am hitting some
> problems with the apps installed (optimised for SSE2 when my CPU wont do
> it, this linuxsampler problem etc..).
> >

> > not having an SSE2 CPU seems like a bad, bad place to start ...
>
> Perhaps.. but I don't see myself upgrading in the near future. After all,
> it has handled everything I havd thrown at it until now.. and I am not
> trying to do anything dramatically different or more CPU intense than
> anything I have done before.
>
> I don't think Athlon XPs are that uncommon amongst Linux users given our
> fondness for keeping machines running as long as possible!

intel-compatible CPUs that do not support SSE2 are now a rare breed in
desktops + laptops. i'm not saying it can't be used, just that you're doing
without a very very powerful set of instructions that dramatically improves
the performance of apps doing floating point math (e.g. audio). its just
not a machine i'd pick to do synthesis with unless it my only choice.