Re: [LAU] [OT] LV2 control for hardware device

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 26 2012 - 14:37:57 EET

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Moshe Werner <moshwe@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm writing this for a friend of mine.
> This particular friend is a recording hardware developer that build
> several preamps, EQ's, etc.
> He is well known in the high end analog gear community and build tools for
> the some pretty big names in the industry (e.g. Bob Katz).
>
> So this friend and I were discussing a new hardware analog device with
> digital control that he designed and I must say that his idea is pretty
> good.
> I asked him if it will be possible to control the device from a plugin and
> got a negative answer, but he said he would be glad to offer information to
> a developer interested in this kind of project.
> I told him about Linux, Ardour and LV2 and he was very interested.
> I proposed to him to contact the Linux Audio community and see if there is
> anyone that would be interested to participate.
>
> Basically the idea is to make an interface for his device in LV2 format.
>
> I don't know how much (if any) money will be involved, so you will have to
> discuss these matters with him directly.
>
> Please understand that I cannot give his or the company's name at this
> time.
>
> Anyone interested please contact me directly so I can give you more
> details.

Its not immediately obvious than a plugin (in any format) is the right
choice to control a device. I guess it depends a lot on the nature of the
device. I know that there are companies like UAD who have external h/w DSP
units that are represented to the user as if they were "native" plugins. If
it is this kind of thing, then certainly "wrapping" the device and
presenting it as if it is just a s/w plugin is a smart and nice thing for
the user. On the other hand, if its a device that doesn't bring audio into
and/or out of the computer, or if it only brings audio into/outof the
computer, then a plugin is not a sensible way to present it.