[LAU] [Fwd: Re: RTC/HPET timer permissions]

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Nov 27 2012 - 15:04:14 EET

My MUA is broken :(.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
To: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
Subject: Re: [LAU] RTC/HPET timer permissions
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:53:34 +0100

On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 12:54 +0100, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> What do you mean by hardware MIDI? External synths? So when only using
> soft synths using snd-hrtimer doesn't make any difference at all?

Yes, that's my experience. Perhaps it's tickless vs not tickless
regarding to IRQ handling of the hardware MIDI or simply the very high
resolution. A coder might give us some insight.

For MIDI internal Linux I guess there are no layers, excepted of bridges
between ALSA and JACK that might cause issues. perhaps I'm mistaken, but
I never noticed an issue for a stable DAW.

> > Usually system timer (default) is the best way to go,
> > hr timer is better, but can cause issues,
>
> What kind of issues?

MIDI jitter.

> linuxmusicians.com Wiki

Take care to keep backwards compatibility, some people e.g. still use 64
Studio.

Other stuff at the moment is in a transition state. You never know what
services to start and stop by /etc/init.d/foo and what by the command
"service".

Better wait with editing until we all are forced to use GNOME3 or Unity
with hard dependencies to upstart or systemd, sorry I couldn't resist,
since current Xfce at the moment is a PITA and the upstream situation
makes me taking a look at FreeBSD now, of cause not for audio and MIDI,
but I will test this too.

Regards,
Ralf