Re: [LAU] Xfce - OT: RTC/HPET timer permissions

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Nov 30 2012 - 15:36:49 EET

On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 13:52 +0100, Carlos sanchiavedraz wrote:
> We are having a considerable inner reorganization of the project along
> with the Musix 3 development itself. In addition I'm also preparing a
> Musix 3 for portable/touch devices, so there's a lot going on.
> By now the last one was Musix 3 beta 2.
>
> Anyway, we still be keeping and eye on hosts and devices with not much
> horsepower having desktops and environments prepared for them. One of
> the goals of Musix is not to forget the old PCs and devices, not to
> follow the "2 year PCs are dated -> buy a new one" tendency that is
> constantly growing.

It's strange that a project that claims to be for humanity, computers
for the third world etc. does rebuild Debian packages with i386
architecture and only does support Intel-based computers with a
686-class (or newer) CPU. I don't understand this and I don't like it.

OTOH I do understand that e.g. FreeBSD does drop AC'97 support, but
instead is interested to support the RME HDSPe AIO. It belongs to the
manpower and if we can't pay people to maintain support for old hardware
or to support new hardware, there's nobody to blame.

I don't have the money to pay somebody to support AC'97 for FreeBSD or
to support the RME HDSPe AIO for Linux and I don't have the time to do
it myself, learning how to program for the kernel is time intensive and
can't be done by reading a howto about audio driver writing.

So in some cases I agree, the approach "2 year PCs are dated -> buy a
new one" is bad, but I understand that there are limits for maintaining
all hardware.

FLOSS does include "free as in beer", that's good, but the disadvantage
is, that there's not enough money to care about everything.

Regards,
Ralf