Re: [LAU] Using an RME Multiface II as a DAC/ADC converter box

From: Florian Faber <faber@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 07 2012 - 20:18:04 EET

Brent!

>> The difference is that the FF400 has a stand alone routing mode, which
>> the multiface lacks.
> That makes sense... There's a light on the front of the Multiface that
> goes out after the firmware is loaded from the host computer. I think
> until that firmware is loaded, it's more or less braindead. Probably
> there is no good technical reason why RME is marketing the external
> DAC/ADC units this way, other than they can.

IIRC they added a stand-alone mode with the RPM (there was a
'disconnect' command). You can check if the Multiface II stays
configured by using external power and disconnecting the 'Firewire'
cable, once it is configured. But this is no solution for daily use. I
don't know anymore wether the mixing is taking place in the Host
interface or the IO Box. With the FF400, the mixer is in the device,
obviously.

> Oh well...thanks for the suggestions on other boxes to look at from
> everyone -- I'll go take a look.

If you want the same converters, look for a used FF400. You will also
get another nice headphone output and two mic preamps.

Flo

--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key B3B9226C          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net