Re: [LAU] Simple sampler/tracker or similar?

From: Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 13 2012 - 00:05:02 EET

On 12/12/12 16:46, Arve Barsnes wrote:
> For a quick project (trying to get something finished by the
> holidays), what program would you people recommend that I could learn
> in a very short time to create short patterns (like how I would create
> a song in hydrogen, only the patterns you combine to make a song are
> samples instead of drum patterns)? Something I could then export to
> wave or sync directly with ardour. I don't have any midi capabilities
> at the moment so it would really have to be all samples and "piano
> roll". Any suggestions welcome!

You could use rosegarden + ardour. Set rosegarden and ardour to the same
BPM!
Create the patters in rosegarden in the matrix editor (i.e. piano roll),
you can hook rosegarden to DSSI plugins 'internally' or to any external
midi generator. When the patterns sounds good record it into ardour. Add
patterns this way.

Once you have all your base patterns arrange them in ardour, here you
also do the chisel work on them, e.g. shortening, modifying them (grid
is very handy). Add fx, fades, panning etc if needed.

I did a quick proof of concept of this kind of approach about a year ago
after discussions on #la-it on freenode. The result here:

http://gnufunk.org/~lorenzosu/temp/tracker_delay.ogg

Just and idea ;
Lorenzo