Re: [LAU] OT: Durable headphones

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Dec 17 2012 - 22:54:23 EET

On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 14:49 -0500, Monty Montgomery wrote:
> This is the subject of probably 10% of the threads on /g/ :-)

What is /g/?

> I personally find the DT770 very disappointing. Their noise isolation
> is superb, but they're one of the most colored closed cans in my
> personal experience. HUGE midbass bump, no high end.
>
> I'm not a fan of Sony overall, but the MDR-V6 is more neutral, cheaper
> and better made. Amazon's been selling them for $50-- at that price,
> they're a steal (I grabbed a few pairs myself).
>
> BTW, If you don't need noise isolation, don't buy closed cans.

Yes, Bayer is known to sound better, in the sense of "it's closer to
bass sound of speakers", but less good as reference for audio
production. The time the AKG 240 DF go on sale, there was a competitor
from Bayer, but in the end the AKG became a reference for around 20
years, I guess 10 years ago the AKG was replaced too in most studios,
but it was used for a much longer time, than the Bayer headphones. I
wonder if they nowadays buy new headphones every month, at least the
German Rundfunk has got the money to do it. I don't have the money. Btw.
I don't know if later versions of the AKG are as durable as the version
I bought, when it go to sale.

Semi-open is what I prefer to open and closed. I only owned the
semi-opened AKG and several cheap opened headphones myself.

Regards,
Ralf