Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 23 2012 - 03:53:10 EET

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>wrote:

> > ADAT can do 48KHz, 96KHz and 192KHz. Nobody will use 44.1KHz
> > for
> > pro-audio, so that wouldn't cause an issue.
> >
> > the usual ralph misinformation. does it ever stop?
> >
> > ADAT supports 44.1kHz and 48kHz as-is. With the S-Mux "standard", it
> > can route 88.2kHz and 96kHz signals, but each channel is split across
> > two ADAT channels, causing a 50% reduction in the number of available
> > channels.
>
> Can you give an example for misinformation by me?

Along with Paul pointing out that ADAT CAN do 44.1, saying that 44.1
recording will never be used for Pro-Audio is also misinformation. If you
are going to CD only, it removes the need to do a sample rate conversion,
which obviously means less noise, and while there may certainly be some
differences in audio quality, some people believe the difference from said
conversion is greater than the difference in audio quality form 44.1 vs 96,
etc.

Not to mention that most sessions I find online that I give to my students
for assignments are still exported stems at 44.1 so obviously I am not the
only one that still uses it professionally.

      Seablade