Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 24 2012 - 16:48:12 EET

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> Violins (and many other instruments) can and do produce harmonics
> above 20 kHz. As long as these are vibrations inside the instrument
> they could even interact in non-linear ways and produce something that
> is audible. Once they are 'in the air', they don't interact and you
> can't hear them.

although i'm skeptical, i'm willing to leave a tiny amount of doubt in the
air. i think the evidence is clear that we cannot hear these frequencies.
there is some slightly woo-ish stuff about how they might still interact
with us physically and contribute something to the experience of being "in
the presence of" the live instrument(s). i suspect its totally bogus, but i
also don't think that the science has been done to clearly establish that
it is, and that 22kHz is a hard limit for human experience, not just human
hearing.