Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 25 2012 - 13:47:06 EET

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 07:34:26PM -0600, Neil wrote:
> On Dec 24, 2012 5:31 PM, "Ricardus Vincente" <wizardofgosz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > > In college we recorded recitals on such a system. There was A/D box
> > > with meters on it ("If it clips you're fired!") and a Betamax VCR. I
> > > think it was all Sony but I don't actually remember.
> >
> > Those were 12 bit, weren't they?
>
> I don't remember. I do remember there was a 44.1/48 switch, and that it
> was the last active use of beta I was aware of. This was the early 90's.

I remember such a thing from when I worked in broadcasting, must have
been late 80s. We even had a setup with two Bmax VCRs controlled by an
Apple II that allowed to do simple assembly editing. It was an horrible
thing to use. Edits would fail regularly. If you were lucky you could
retry them, but quite often the already assembled part would be damaged
at the edit point, forcing you to go back. It was used for a year or so,
until something better (the first hard disk based systems) became available.

Ciao,

--
FA