Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Fri Dec 28 2012 - 18:51:52 EET

On 28 December 2012 14:50, Chris Bannister <cbannister@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On paper, an analogue signal is an exact
> reproduction whereas a digital signal is, by its very nature, an
> approximation of the original, even if it is very close.

This is closer to the opposite of the truth (counterintuitive as it
may seem). But I think there have been two or three good expositions
about this from Monty and others already in this thread.

I like my records. I have a pretty good record player that's about the
same age as I am, and I use it a lot. I like the physical objects, and
there are recordings I have on both LP and CD and prefer to listen to
from LP, either because the mastering is different or because I happen
to like the vinyl sound in that music.

But I can't tell the difference between the original vinyl and a
recording of it, using a decent soundcard, burned back onto a CD
again. I've tested it well enough to convince myself. All those
attractive distortions are faithfully preserved.

Chris