Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 29 2012 - 13:27:21 EET

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 09:03:32PM -0500, Al Thompson wrote:

> And every extra circuit you cram in the signal chain merely ads noise,
> distortion, and other coloration. Who can forget the debates about
> whether the CONVENIENCE of CAM was really worth the unavoidable
> degradation in quality due to the VCAs most consoles used. If a
> defective component (fader, pot) is adding noise or distortion, then it
> should be replaced, and not used as "justification" that digital is better.

The only 'justification' is that such maintenance can be extremely
expensive and in many cases almost impossible or impractical, in
the case of single PCB mixers for example. If you want regular
maintainance, the extra cost of modular equipment pays off rather
fast.

Also a switch or pot doesn't have to be really defective, in many
cases this is a sort of degradation that goes unnoticed for a long
time. The point I wanted to make is that much supposedly superior
analog equipment is real life less perfect that it is believed to be.
There's nothing 'musical' to the type of distortion caused by a dirty
switch.

Ciao,

--
FA