Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 01 2013 - 00:01:50 EET

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 15:39:45 -0600
Charles Henry <czhenry@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> However, phase shifts aren't much of a problem by themselves--they're all
> over the place in any typical multi-driver system and placement in the room
> matters just as much. The loudspeaker crossover introduces the same effect.

A slight digression...
For a long time I've wondered if the ear, being a non-linear 'device' can
actually detect absolute phase at low frequencies. i.e. if the compressions and
rarefactions were swapped, would it sound different?

To test this with a mono source presumably all you'd have to do would be to
have an asymmetric signal and swap the speaker leads, but how would you
objectively test the listener?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk