Re: [LAU] Dual Delta Setup

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 01 2013 - 00:32:42 EET

On Mon, December 31, 2012 6:58 am, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, December 30, 2012 7:12 pm, Devin Anderson wrote:
>>

>> > JACK *could* deal with this issue, but:
>> >
>> > 1.) It would be better if the functionality was independent of JACK.
>> > 2.) I don't think the issue is JACK's responsibility.
>>
>> Quite honestly, it does not seem to be something that _should_ be done
>> by
>> ALSA either, because properly joining two devices would mean an extra
>> buffer (and latency).
>

> this is not true, if they are clock-synced.

Well there is sync and sync. It seems the cards are in "sync" in that they
are exactly the same frequency, but not in "sync" phase wise in the
transfer of data. That is why there is a problem. Even though the cards
are "clock-synced" they are not in sync and Jack does not know how to deal
with that... In fact it can't know how because it is seeing one interface
where there is actually two out of sync cards that are clock-synced.

>> It seems that the reality is that each device needs
>> to be dealt with as a separate device. So if it is not Jack's problem
>> then
>> a second jacklike server that exposes the ports as jack clients is
>> needed
>> and expected. So using something like zita-a2j would be the "correct"
>> way
>> of doing things.
>>

> if they are not clock synced, then yes.

It seems if they are not phase synced then yes...

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net