Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 01 2013 - 21:20:40 EET

On Tuesday 01 January 2013 14:17:22 Al Thompson did opine:

> On 01/01/2013 12:23 PM, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> > The way our ears work, what frequency we actually hear shifts slightly
> > with intensity. There is a great book on acoustics by F. Alton
> > Everest that goes into this a bit in one of the earlier chapters. I
> > am still reading through all of it, but it is an interesting
> > phenomenon. Pitch is in actuality a subjective form of Frequency, not
> > objective, and this is reflected in this phenomenon.
>
> This is something you learn VERY early on if you mix monitors for a
> living. If you've got someone who sings consistently flat (especially
> lead singers), turn their monitor DOWN about 3-4 dB, no matter how much
> they scream and yell about it.
>
> The audience will thank you profusely.

Humm, I wonder if this is why much of Johnny Cash's work has him 25 to 50
cents flat. He was back on key for a while after the tonsillectomy.

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
If it's Tuesday, this must be someone else's fortune.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...