Re: [LAU] [OT] a record created on a 3d printer

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 04 2013 - 01:10:35 EET

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 13:33:15 -0800 "Len Ovens" <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, January 3, 2013 8:56 am, Joe Hartley wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 15:02:54 +0100
>
> >> On the other hand: what would happen if one uses vmlinuz and
> >> initrd as raw-input for lame and then back to 'wave' with mpg123?
>
> Coding as MP3 would not work because it is lossy.
> >
> > Don't even need that step:
> > $ aplay /boot/vmlinuz-3.6.7-4.fc16.x86_64
> > Playing raw data '/boot/vmlinuz-3.6.7-4.fc16.x86_64' : Unsigned 8
> > bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
> >
> > Pure raw noise :)
>
> This would work or convert to flac. But I don't know how much flac
> would reduce the size as I think vmlinuz is already compressed.... it
> might even get bigger.

Maybe a bit of clarification is needed: I didn't intend to listen to
vmlinuz. I actually wanted to inspire someone with more time then me to
purposefully use the lossy compression of mp3 (or ogg for that matter)
to see if the decompressed data would still give a somewhat working
kernel. Think art. Maybe even develop this to a greater project where
the zlib-compression of the kernel gets replaced by the lossy
compression of mp3 or ogg. Then set up a machine to repeatedly boot
these kernels compressed with varying compression rates (and make use
of the hw watchdog to reboot the system). Could be more fun then some
kilos of butter in a corner.

Have a nice day/night,

Arnold