Re: [LAU] [OT] Open Source Portable Recorder?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 09 2013 - 06:46:34 EET

On Mon, January 7, 2013 9:42 am, Johannes Kroll wrote:

>> On Sun, January 6, 2013 5:57 am, Johannes Kroll wrote:
>> > Hi all!
>> >
>> > This is kind of off-topic here but I thought if there is such a thing,
>> > some of you guys might know.
>> >
>> > I'm looking for an audio recorder where the firmware and/or the
>> > hardware is hackable. Ideally, this would be similar to the Tascam
>> > DR-05 in price and features, but with free/libre firmware and
>> hardware.
>> > Maybe someone knows of such a project?
>> >
>> > Alternatively, is any of the "closed" devices such as the Tascam DR-XX
>> > known to have modifiable firmware?

If you really want to hack from scratch... here is a starting point:

http://compulab.co.il/products/computer-on-modules/cm-itc/?gclid=CJ3q9tmv2rQCFal_Qgodu2IArw#overview

The size is right... but it does not come with a display though the
driving stuff is there. The price is a little higher though $98... if you
buy 1000. double for 1 only :P

This one might be better, Cheaper for one:

http://compulab.co.il/products/sbcs/sbc-x300/#overview

They are $40 each for 1000... triple for one. It has a touch screen
interface, but I would guess you could do with out. It has key interface
and all you need are a few LEDs for some of the uses you mentioned. I has
mic in and headphones out (1-ip, 2-op), USB both ways, host and slave,
ethernet, com ports, wifi (some of this stuff may cost extra :) etc.

Both of these modules say the run linux, but the top is atom based and I
think you could just load something like ubuntu (for example) off of a USB
stick. The second one you may need to buy the loader because it is not an
x86 type cpu. It looks like the linux package is a free download as are
all the docs... you could look through the docs on a number and decide if
they are any good before you buy one. May even be able to test it on a
virtual machine.

The gumstix I mentioned before are definitely more costly as they start at
$130 without interfaces. (from what I can tell) They do have some plug and
play systems though.

Speaking of plug and play:

http://compulab.co.il/products/computer-on-modules/cm-t3730/
plus this:
http://compulab.co.il/products/handheld-computers/em-t3730/

Gives you the whole unit minus case, touch screen and everything. I think
it is basically a smart phone.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net