Re: [LAU] LAM: A new work in progress..

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 11 2013 - 01:39:26 EET

Hello James!
   Thanks for sharing this piece of music. OK, the singing isn't great, but who
am I to complain? :-)
   Having the drums all in seperate tracks can help you a lot. Even with this
rather open and transparent arrangement. May I ramble. This is of course a lot
to taste and there are - I'm sure - some quite different basic religious ideas
on how to approach this. Mine is more progressive rock or even pop.
   I will mention some values here, just experiment with the important
parameters and find your own. My values are just typical things, that I
experienced as useful.
   Filtering: especially in busy mixes it's nice to filter things as much as
possible - and/or - equalise. The hihat are really getting important and
audible - through all the rest - around 500 probably even 700 Hertz. So apply
a highpass filte4r around that region. A bassdrum doesn't mostly need
frequencies up to 22kHz. Depending on your sound something between 1-6kHz
might do.
   those are the really harsh steps, cutting out, what really isn't needed.
Then with an EQ lower frequencies, that have to much. I use Fons' 4-band
parametric filter (LADSPA unique ID 1970). Take any you like. Activate one
band, make it very narrow (offered with most EQs I think) and choose something
like 12Db for volume/gain. Then sweep the frequency. I don't know, wire it to
the pitchbend wheel of a MIDI keyboard, use the mouse... whatever suits you.
If you find an area, which sounds overloud/disagreeable, lower the volume/gain
control below 0Db. On typical area of annoyance: around 400-440Hz, especially
for chord/rhythm nstruments. A lot happens there and if you have a lot of
instruments, a lot adds up to much too much. Note: If auditioned alone tracks
can sound slightly flat or at least flatter than the original, test them in
the full mix.
   Compression: Your bassdrum could use some. It sounds rather live, which
doesn't fit your song. Use something like the Invada compressor (LADSPA unique
3308 or stereo 3309) or any other compressor you like. Experiment. To cut down
the release of the bassdrum, choose longer release time in the compressor. If
you want to hear, what the compressor actually really does and what changes,
you can start experiments with a very low threshold (-20 to -30Db) and high
compression (>10, in a nice GUI the rate could be displayed as 1:something, so
1:10).
   Then your drumkit might be well disposed with some reverb. Especially on the
cymbals and perhaps a little on the hihats. You could add some overall subtle
studio room to the kit and then add some more reverb on hihats/cymbals in
particular to blend them in more smoothly. For that purpose choose a larger
reverb.
   I could talk a lot about snare drums, but you wouldn't want me to. There's
such a lot, that can be done with it. Again EQ (can be more than convenience,
also shaping the sound), the same goes for compression and reverb. Everything
from super dry 70s to gated 80s or organic 90s prog can be achieved. :-)
   In my ears, at least the hihats could be taken down a notch or even two. :-)
   Of course, your vocals should go more upfront normally, at least a little. I
could understand, if you rather don't this time.
   the rhythm guitar might use some EQ'ing as well. It sounds rather bright,
gets in the way a little. Perhaps just a different amp/speaker/effect
combination on your v-amp. I have noticed before, that sounds, which sound
good solo, don't necessarily blend in well in a mix. I once had the time of my
life rescuing a nicely played recording with completely the wrong sound. I was
there, when it got recorded and chosen. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to
isn't, what I'd like.
   The song underneath all my criticism and I'd rather this and why not that,
is nice. Compact, flowing, pleasant. Not completely my stle, but
approximating. :-) For a first with your new tool, this is OK.
   I am looking forward to your next song from this setup.
   Best wishes
          Julien