Re: [LAU] USB2 Audio, PreSonus Audiobox 1818VSL -- was: Sound Devices USBPre2, UAC2 status

From: Louis Gorenfeld <louis.gorenfeld@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 12 2013 - 00:17:38 EET

Hi,
  There are some glitches in the current ALSA (1.0.25) implementation
of UAC2, at least when used with the 1818VSL. It does mostly work (in
UAC2 mode, too). What I have noticed, aside from the click, is this:

- The sample clock selector doesn't work by default. I made a patch
that addresses this:
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2013-January/058141.html

- The mixer control names are all prefixed with "AudioBox 1818 VSL
Clock Selector" (which is the name of the first control)

- Note that there are two mutes in the mixer-- one per-channel and one
master mute. The same is true of input muting. If you're not hearing
anything, check this first.

- Don't turn it off when an audio stream is processing or it'll risk a
kernel panic. Or, at least, that has been my experience.

- There appears to be a general compatibility issue with i7 and the
PreSonus (cross-platform; it'll happen on Windows too). I believe this
is a known bug that is being addressed. This manifests as a subtle
click once a minute or so, from the machine I tried it on.

Lemme know how it works out for you!

-Louis