Re: [LAU] ffmpeg or libav

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 12 2013 - 20:27:59 EET

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, January 12, 2013 1:40 am, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 January 2013 10:19:59 Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> >> http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html seems to say
> >> that
> >> ffmpeg is integrating libav patches and not vice versa
> >>
> >> [Sorry for asking a political question]
>
> I knew about this one.
>

> > Thanks for exposing this issue. I think that it is important, because it
> > illustrates a negative and recurrent pattern from some Linux distros.
> > Another
> > example:
> >
> > CDRecord or Wodim?
> > http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html
>
> Thanks for this info.
>
> How many other ones are there?

One of my favourites: Mozilla Firefox vs. Iceweasel and friends
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation_software_rebranded_by_the_Debian_project

I guess you want me to be more --verbose ...

By "pattern" I mean this mindset: "Our App Store (official distro
repositories) is ours to allow and deny what is available and what not, and
we
can arbitrarily throw your software out if we want, but unlike Apple we are
not evil."

The consequences are similar: users can't easily access software they want,
even if it is free software that the authors are willing to distribute
gratis
and freely. The three given examples are not equal though. The worse case
is
cdrecord, replaced by that old and unmaintained wodim fork in almost all
distros. As a consequence, Linux users can't write BluRay discs, and may
suffer problems writing DVD discs as well. The issue with Firefox is more
important than trademarks and logos, because users may be exposed to
security
risks fixed by Firefox which may not be available in Iceweasel with the
same
speed. The solutions may be comparable as well: jailbreak your device, and
download from Cydia or alternative stores...

Regards,
Pedro