[LAU] Library for simple audio programming

From: Ivan K <ivan_521521@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 15 2013 - 05:09:56 EET

I want to write a simple application that can open a .wav file
(stereo or mono), grab the header, and then read and dump
the sample values from a portion of the .wav file to an ascii data
file (I want to plot minute portions of the sound file with
application such as gnuplot).

I am most comfortable working in C, though I would
consider working in C++.

What library or libraries do people suggest I work with?

Thanks.

P.S.  Or maybe someone can suggest a command line utility
that already does this.