Re: [LAU] I need to catalogue wave file regions.

From: SxDx <sed@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 16 2013 - 20:24:22 EET

> From: "John Murphy" <rosegardener@freeode.co.uk>
> Seems to me, although I always underestimate what's involved, that
> my needs are so basic compared to the high functionality everything
> I've seen provides. If you, or anyone similarly capable, could knock
> up something like I've described - you'd be surprised how quickly new
> regions can be marked. A configurable default naming scheme would
> allow
> annotation to be a secondary process, so that an entire file could be
> marked in not much time at all.
>
> The growing region list would be shown in a side panel...

That's something for SUPERHACKER!

Unfortunately for you, Superhacker is also super lazy.
I met Superhacker once. Superhacker touched me, and
like another person in the past, some of Superhacker's
magic powers go down into people Superhacker touches.
There was a lot of noise, and maybe some saturation
in the chain at the time, so now every program I write
has many many bugs in it.

Anyway, I tried something that may help you.

Go to: http://sed.free.fr/audiotag
There is a screenshot too.

It's not finished, but tell me:
1 - does it work (compile, run)?
2 - do you like it?
3 - what is missing? (I have ideas for the
    "regions" thing and how to manipulate them
    after you tagged all your audio file in a
    first pass; we'll see together if you like the
    beast) (this is text manipulation, better
    to leave it to a text editor with the ability
    to show a region in the program via X selection;
    that's my idea) (and write other programs for
    replay time)

See README included for instructions.

The thing uses Jack for audio output. You must set
Jack's samplerate to the audio file's samplerate, no
conversion is done (but I could use libresample if
necessary).

Audio file is accessed via libsndfile.

GUI is simple X window.

And it's not finished, so expect issues.
(One big fear I have is how the thing works
on a 32b computer... I have a 64b here) (and
also X issues, I probably do one or two things
completely wrongly)

Regards,
Cédric.