Re: [LAU] debugging conflicts Pulseaudio/Jack

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2013 - 13:18:09 EET

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 07:23:17 +0100, Brendan Jones
<brendan.jones.it@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/18/2013 01:00 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, January 18, 2013 10:47 am, Federico Bruni wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I've chosen the option 3 (route PulseAudio to JACK while JACK is
>>> running) of this guide:
>>> http://jackaudio.org/pulseaudio_and_jack
>>>
>>> BTW, http://trac.jackaudio.org/ is down since yesterday.
>>>
>>> It used to work fine in the past but I'm having an issue just after
>>> using Stretchplayer (and therefore jack).
>>> I'm on Debian testing (Gnome 3.4.2). I can't see anymore the audio
>>> applet. In Settings»Audio I see that there's no output device.
>>> The applications that are trying to use Pulseaudio are listed but of
>>> course no sound is produced.
>>>
>>> jackd is not running.
>>> pulseaudio-module-jack is installed and my ~/.pulse/default.pa contains
>>> the following lines:
>>>
>>> load-module module-native-protocol-unix
>>> load-module module-jack-sink channels=2
>>> load-module module-jack-source channels=2
>>> load-module module-null-sink
>>> load-module module-stream-restore
>>> load-module module-rescue-streams
>>> load-module module-always-sink
>>> load-module module-suspend-on-idle
>>> set-default-sink jack_out
>>> set-default-source jack_in
>>>

>>> How can I debug this problem?
>>> Thanks in advance
>>

>> There is a bug in Pulseaudio that is stopping pa from releasing the
>> audio
>> device.
>>
>> The temporary solution until it is fixed and released is to disable
>> autospawn and restart pa.
>>
>> edit ~/.pulse/client.conf
>>
>> add
>>
>> autospawn = no
>>

>> restart pulse with
>>
>> pulseaudio -k
>> pulseaudio -D
>>
>> or maybe with
>>
>> pasuspender -- jackd
>>

>> If that fails you may need to completely kill pulse or just restart the
>> machine to get it to release the audio device. Once you have disabled
>> autospawn it should only need to be done once and only if you have
>> already
>> been using pulse to listen to a some audio.
>>

> We have noticed a problem with audio reservation in Fedora. Ian has has
> some success with this patch (as have I) but I'm at a loss to understand
> why, it just seems to work...
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2013-January/015853.html

This has got nearly the quality of a conspiracy :D. I know people who are
banned on at least one list, a long time ago, when they were writing about
issues with pulseaudio and systemd. People who serious reported bugs were
abused with "Ponyland" mockery of the main coder. ALSA was blamed, when
pulseaudio didn't work. And no, I'm not banned, I'm not affected, since I
neither use pulseaudio nor systemd. It now emerges that those so called
trolls were right? They were no trolls? Pulseaudio still isn't working,
but mailing lists again get spammed with mails about pulseaudio? This is a
running gag. How about removing pulseaudio? It's good for nothing! Jack
and ALSA are working very good without pulseaudio. Strange that stable
distro releases have it as a hard dependency. Is pulseaudio really
important again on jack devel and Linux audio lists? When will this ever
stop? Beta software for the basic parts of the OS simply shouldn't be used
for stable environments.

Regards,
Ralf