Re: [LAU] MIDI note input by rhythm?

From: Angel de Vicente <angelv@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 19 2013 - 23:21:01 EET

Hi,

Angel de Vicente <angelv@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> my first post to the list. I hope MIDI issues are appropriate for
> it. I'm an amateur classical guitar player and I'm starting to use the
> computer as a "partner" to play duets, trios, etc.
>
> At the moment I just enter a score in either GNU Denemo or Rosegarden,
> then just tweak a little bit the tempo and the velocities to make it
> more musical and then I play along with that. But the whole thing is
> very time consuming, so I'm looking for an alternative way for note
> input. I am hoping for something like the following:
>
> 1. I just enter the notes, regardless of the duration of each of them.
> 2. Then I go into a second phase, where (using the PC keyboard or a MIDI
> keyboard) I just worry about the rhythm (the note durations). Every
> time I press a new key in the keyboard the program would play the
> next note from the ones entered in step 1. and record its duration. I
> don't care about how the score will look with these durations. I just
> want an easy way to create a more musical accompaniment. This way, at
> this step I only have to worry about the durations of each note.

OK, so in the end I did a proof-of-concept implementation of this with
Pure Data, and it works really great. I put it in recording mode and I
enter the notes (for the moment no chords) without worrying about
durations. Then I go into recording-duration mode, and then regardless
of which key I press in the keyboard, the pitches to be played come from
the previously entered list, so I only have to worry about playing them
with the rhythm and velocity (MIDI velocity) I want.

When I sent this request to the list I had only heard about Pure Data,
but I had no idea of what it really was. I just followed about 1-2 hours
of video tutorials in YouTube, and I was able to write this little
application in a very quick time. Kudos to Pure Data, I think I'm going
to be using it quite a lot in the future.

Cheers,

--
Ãngel de Vicente
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/