Re: [LAU] [LAD] [OT] digital mixer losing its presets after battery replacement

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 20 2013 - 01:37:36 EET

On 01/17/2013 09:21 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:10:39 +0100, Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> [Dave Phillips]
>>> From the owner's manual: cE indicates a checksum error.
>>>
>>> Would that be an error on the part of simplesysexxer or the hardware ?
>>
>> I seem to remember some piece of MIDI equipment reporting a checksum
>> error when I was sending sysex bulks too quickly. After increasing
>> the interval between blocks everything was fine. (No idea what
>> device it was, certainly not a Yamaha mixer though.)
>
> IIRC for my Yamaha DX7 and the C64 software I've written, it was an
> issue, when naming a sound with a special Japanese ASCII sign. AFAIR
> it was only the combination of one sound + a special name including
> this sign, not an issue when using this sign for other sounds. Voodoo
> ;). The old (first) DX7 itself only provided capital letters, numbers
> and the dot, perhaps a few additional signs, my sound bank manager
> enabled usage of other ASCII signs.

Hey Ralf, hey Tim,

Thanks for both suggestions. Ralf, you may have the right of it here.
The DMP does have an extended character set that I've used in some patch
titles. Tim, I'll see what I can do to throttle the sysex transmission.
Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Btw, I contacted a retired Yamaha tech who has a service manual for the
unit and is willing to copy it for me. Maybe some help there too.

Hardwarily yours,

dp,