Re: [LAU] Studies says musicians derive only 6% of their income from sales

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 23 2013 - 21:31:50 EET

On Wednesday 23 January 2013 14:09:30 david wrote:
> On 01/22/2013 09:25 AM, drew Roberts wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 January 2013 14:17:30 david wrote:
> >> http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/news/international-news/250321/study-reveals-
> >>mus icians-only-derive-6-of-their-income-from-music-sales.htm
> >
> > Does it say what percentage they derive from music?
>
> What do you mean by "music"?

Music.

> The Figure 2 graph in the article shows how much the various income
> sources contribute.

The figure seems to be a breakdown of their music income. Surely musicians
have other sources of income. Non-musician music related jobs. Non-music
related jobs. Income from investments. Teaching non-music subjects (assuming
the teaching in the figure is teachin music, not clear.)

I hang out with a band that I figure makes the majority of their income from
non-music related day jobs and / or businesses and a small percentage from
their music earning efforts. How many other musicians are there in a similar
boat? Did this study even try to study them?

all the best,

drew