Re: [LAU] Studies says musicians derive only 6% of their income from sales

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 24 2013 - 08:32:34 EET

On 01/23/2013 09:31 AM, drew Roberts wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 January 2013 14:09:30 david wrote:
>>>
>>> Does it say what percentage they derive from music?
>>
>> What do you mean by "music"?
>
> Music.
>>
>> The Figure 2 graph in the article shows how much the various income
>> sources contribute.
>
> The figure seems to be a breakdown of their music income. Surely musicians
> have other sources of income. Non-musician music related jobs. Non-music
> related jobs. Income from investments. Teaching non-music subjects (assuming
> the teaching in the figure is teachin music, not clear.)
>
> I hang out with a band that I figure makes the majority of their income from
> non-music related day jobs and / or businesses and a small percentage from
> their music earning efforts. How many other musicians are there in a similar
> boat? Did this study even try to study them?

I don't believe so. I believe the study focused on musicians who made
the majority of their money from music, not other work (unless the
"Other" category includes that). It looks like it splits out the
different sources of music related information. It may also have focused
solely on that, not any non-music income sources.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden