Re: [LAU] Sample rate vs. SNR

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 25 2013 - 17:21:18 EET

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 06:44:31AM -0800, Len Ovens wrote:

> Our on air was 2" machines. 5 of them. A very busy place during commercial
> breaks.

Know that :-) We had Ampexes on-air, and RCAs in the editing suites. Those
were really lovely machines. All moving parts were controlled by pneumatic
actuators, it was phssst, pfff, pssssst all the time while editing. Below
the actual tape deck there was something like a cubic meter of electronics.
For slow motion playback (mainly used for soccer) there was an analog hard
disk recorder. The disk was around 40cm diameter and the whole thing was
packaged in a glass case, you could see the heads moving.

> And the frame which is actually two vertical scans... at least over here
> in NTSC land. (NTSC = Never Twice the Same Colour)

Twice that (8 fields, 4 frames) for PAL...

Ciao,

--
FA