Re: [LAU] Cheap ribbon mics

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 26 2013 - 04:20:10 EET

On Fri, January 25, 2013 5:56 pm, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> Anyone used one of cheap ribbon mics I see on feabay for well under
> $100? Yeah, probably get what you pay for ... but I don't have 2 to 4
> grand just to play with one. I'm doing some in-home recording of a
> tenor sax and I've heard that ribbons are really good for this.
> Comments appreciated.

There are lots of different ribbon mics around. Some of them are not
really ribbon mics in the classical sense. I don't think a Mylar skin with
a ribbon printed on it will sound the same as the old ribbon mics. (they
may sound good, but not the same)

If you are willing to do some of the work yourself try:

http://www.diyaudiocomponents.com/

Aside from complete mics at 300 euros, he also sells the elements for
about 50 euros. Add a transformer (he has links) a case and a connector.

http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/directory/

Has some good links to sites that have good ideas about making mic cases.
I used an old power supply capacitor can, but copper pipe (or brass) works
well too (see your local plumbing dept).

One thing to remember about ribbons is that they are more sensitive to the
preamp impedance. So just buying a "cheap" mic may not do all you want.

Still one step at a time.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net