Re: [LAU] Audio Interface for live Processing

From: Saul Rayson <saul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 26 2013 - 11:06:41 EET

Hi all,

Apologies if these questions have been asked before I can't find a
definitive answer.

I need an audio interface to work with my thinkpad X60 running Ubuntu
studio for live processing. At least 2 in 2 out.

My main program is SuperCollider and the main issue I for see is latency.
With the internal sound card the latency 11.6 ms, which of course is very
noticeable.

Would usb 2 be adequate for this or should I go firwire?

I've tried Motu ultra light, which I know is not supported, so was not
surprised when it did not work (but I have heard of some people getting it
to work).

I've also tried Focurite Saffire 6 USB with no success, I've read there are
issues but I'm not convinced USB 1 would be up for the job.

I've also read that in order to use a firewire interface you need a
real-time Kernel, where Ubuntu studio has a low latency Kernel?

I am fairy new to the world of Linux and moving from Mac.

Any audio interface recommendations and advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Saul