Re: [LAU] Blacklisting a pulse audio device

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2013 - 11:30:22 EET

On Sun, 2013-01-27 at 19:46 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
> If the machine is purpose built for tracking and studio recording, has no
> network connection, etc. why disable pulse instead of not installing it or
> removing it? sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio works too. Pulse, for what it
> is designed to do, works pretty good... for professional audio, jackd is
> much better. Pick your tools for the job. The stuff in the middle like
> audacity, which is painful with jack, the two can be bridged.... but not
> without issues.

I don't produce music 24/7, I also use Linux and FreeBSD without
pulseaudio for entertainment. IICR pulseaudio is needed to watch 2
videos, listening to web radio and having a call by Skype at the same
time, to ensure that the volume always is at the same level, if you turn
on or of one source. Is this correct? On my machine I at least can watch
2 videos, listening to web radio at the same time. I never used Skype,
I've got a landline telephone. Usually I don't use jack for
entertainment, it's just ALSA on Linux and OSS on FreeBSD. This does
work without issues and I manually can adjust the volume. Btw. I seldom
watch 2 videos and listening to web radio at the same time.
I don't need pulseaudio, so I don't install it, even if it's a hard
dependency, there are ways to get rid of this fine software.

I experienced pulseaudio as a guarantor for trouble. YMMV!

Regards,
Ralf