Re: [LAU] Loop Composition

From: Aurélien Leblond <blablack@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 04 2013 - 18:38:00 EET

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Aurélien Leblond <blablack@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
>
>> My idea of a workflow would be to have a tool to try out the different
>> loops in different order and "jam" with them to see what works and what
>> doesn't.
>>

> Hmm, although you describe things somewhat, its not totally clear to me
> how you intend to choose which loop to play when. But yes, I kinda know
> what you're getting at.. Loading all drum loops on one track, and all
> guitar loops on the next track, and then triggering them should do.

One way would be to trigger them manually (with a midi controller for
example), the other is to move clips on a grid. Ableton Live is kind of a
mix between the two (as far as I know) and Bitwig seem to work similarly.
the idea is to be able to try out different song structure based on the
same loops.

> Do the loops need to be time-stretched?
> Luppp2, as on https://github.com/harryhaaren/Luppp should do this. Note
> that there is some issues with playback of different sample lenghts. I'm
> re-writing the engine, so Im no longer familiar with the exact bug in that
> version. I know it didn't work perfectly though.. YMMV :)

In my case, there wouldn't be the need for time-stretching as I'm creating
the loop myself.
But yeah, the loops would be different side.

> Then once that would be done - I would re-record everything properly in
>> Ardour (drums with multiple tracks, breaks, etc... a more natural way of
>> playing, guitar played and not looped, etc)
>>

> Cool, perhaps using Luppp is feasible, if you trigger the loops again
> they'll re-sync, so it'll give you a rough idea.
>
> In general this is exactly the intended workflow when designing Luppp, but
> its just not there yet. I hear the future is a big place... -Harry

Can't wait for the future :)