Re: [LAU] [LAD] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio

From: Edward Diehl <diehl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 06 2013 - 00:51:48 EET

Concerning this comment about the Focusrite Saffire 24:

> As a Focusrite Saffire 24 user who needs to start JACK twice every
> time and, since Ubuntu 12.10, restart every 30 minutes, I'd think
> before recommending it to a Linux user :) Absolutely love their
> hardware and their attitude to clients though.

The "start Jack twice" problem has been fixed for several months and if you
build ffado SVN 2260 or greater you will also get the improved version of
the mixer
(see: http://www.premiumorange.com/la-page-web-of-phil). I've never had
issues having to restart Jack every 30 minutes with the Saffire 24.
But, the point is taken that building the latest SVN of ffado is something
many audio users would care or know how to do
(though if you run AVLinux or kxstudio this has already be done for you).

Well this has been said before but the main problem with hardware on linux
is not that "linux does not support it" the problem
is that manufacturers do not support linux. Probably the best solution to
that is to get more linux users, which is slowly happening.