Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Dan Capp <reflectremain@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 06 2013 - 14:14:57 EET

Assuming this an open question, I'll share my thoughts...

I love Linux audio for its ideology and the huge efforts of its
contributors (something beyond my capabilities). But I do find I'm
constantly' battling against the elements'. Ardour 3 closes spontaneously
during sessions, xruns are unavoidable under certain circumstances no
matter what settings I use and there seems to be a limit as to which
plugins will work alongside one another (e.g. QSynth and JAMin can only be
used with a very light Ardour load).

I understand many won't have these problems, but that's the point -Linux
audio's stability varies from system to system and that's the only negative
thing about it compared to corporate OS/Audio. The engineering process
sometimes sucks the life out of my creativity because I spend more time
searching for solutions to tech problems than revelling in the creative
musical process.

But I love it. When working well it has everything I need, the design of it
is great and I love the jack system. It will, with a few hitches, allow me
to record my music without having to take out a bank loan.

Dan

--
*Dan Capp*
~ Design & Illustration ~