Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 07 2013 - 07:34:53 EET

On 02/06/2013 11:34 AM, Louis Gorenfeld wrote:

> - Make Linux friendlier for closed-source/commercial devs: Open source
> is great; don't get me wrong! But music software and DSP are
> specialized areas and DAW and associated software is incredibly
> complex. I think for Linux to really succeed in this arena, it will
> have to attract commercial development. Easier said than done, I know.

Sorry, I disagree with that. I use a closed-source, commercial Linux
photo processing application all the time. Commercial software vendors
can certainly sell software in the Linux world.

I think the problem is that the number of apparent Linux pro audio users
is barely a bump in the Linux-using market, and not even above the
statistical noise level in the big pool of computer users. Further
remove from the pool of potential Linux customers those who for whatever
reason will not purchase commercial closed-source software (and will
probably spew floods of vitriol at the very thought of commercial
closed-source Linux software!). Porting their application to Linux,
testing, debugging, doing customer support - all cost money that they
(rightly or wrongly) see no chance of recouping. So why should they do a
Linux version, anyway?

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden