Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 07 2013 - 16:19:42 EET

On 07/02/13 21:50, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Simon Wise<simonzwise@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> Except LMMS which as discussed uses non-Steinberg reverse engineered
>> sources to try to avoid Steinberg licensing clauses the others distribute
>> binaries without VST enabled and provide instructions for compiling with
>> VST enabled after downloading the appropriate files from Steinberg. You can
>> certainly find compiled versions around in places that defy the license and
>> redistribute anyway. You can alsp find lots of expensive commercial
>> software available for download without payment if you want as well, that's
>> not the point.
>>

> there's a lot of confusion about this sort of thing. so lets be clear.
>
> "VST" is a plugin API.
>
> the phrase "VST plugins" typically refers to shared objects written for and
> compiled to run on the Windows operating system.
>
> the phrase "linux VST plugins" (or even just "lvxvst") refers to plugins
> that use the VST plugin API but are actually shared objects compiled to run
> on Linux.
>
> Supporting plugins written to run on another operating system has almost
> nothing to do with supporting a plugin API. The fact that most users want
> the former rather than the latter doesn't change this fact.

that's very true, and very relevant to the thread in general ... anyone saying
"Linux sucks because it isn't windows/OSX and my favourite tool is only written
for windows/OSX" should stay with the OS that runs their chosen app until they
get to a point they actually want to try other possibilities. Linux isn't, and
cannot be, a cheap (as in beer) clone of some other system.

There are several apps that will run on more than one system, so if Ardour for
example is your favourite DAW then you are lucky, thanks to Paul you can run it
on more than one OS so you have the choice. And there are solutions like virtual
machines or wine or cygwin or just multiple machines connected via audio or
networked ... all of which require a certain level of geekness and interest in
setting them up.

Simon