Re: [LAU] Tracking at 44.1 vs. 48k vs 96k?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 07 2013 - 16:41:50 EET

On Thu, February 7, 2013 6:23 am, James Stone wrote:

> Yep - thanks Len - that was certainly my experience with SBLive and
> onboard sound.
>
> With the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, it actually seems to run with
> (slightly) less CPU load at 44.1k than 48k (much less than 96k), and I
> think it might make 44.1k a better choice to avoid the extra
> downsampling etc. for the final mix in that instance. Not sure if it
> actually runs natively at 48k or whatever tho - not sure how I would
> find that out.

The focusrite will clock the ADCs at whatever rate you select, it will not
resample. However, the low pass filter at 44.1k will have more effect on
the in band audio than at 48k. Do a listening test, if you can't tell the
difference with cymbals and such, I guess it doesn't matter. If your mics
roll off at 18k (or less) anyway it may not be an issue. But honestly my
engineering is not the best here.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net